Rush. KISS. Iron Maiden. Yes. Deep Purple. The Cars. Chicago. The Doobie Brothers. Joe Cocker. Boston. The Moody Blues.
These are just some of the artists (all successful, all influential) who despite having long been eligible for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, continue to get ignored year after year. To give you a rough idea, Rush and KISS have both been eligible for 11 years now, which means they’ve been ignored 11 times. But hey, go ahead and put LL Cool J in – clearly he deserves to be in there more than any of the above people do.
Because according to this article, he’s been nominated for 2011, along with a few other questionable choices:
Among the nominees this year are Alice Cooper, Beastie Boys, Bon Jovi, Chic, Neil Diamond, Donovan, Dr. John, J Geils Band, LL Cool J, Darlene Love, Donna Summer and Tom Waits.
A few thoughts:
- How disco artists like Donna Summer and Chic continue to get nominated (ABBA and The Bee Gees are already in) for something called the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame continues to puzzle me. I suppose the same could be said of the many hip hop, r&b and country artists that have been nominated over the years, but has there ever been a bigger enemy to rock music than fucking disco?
- Anyone who knows me knows that I think Bon Jovi is the fucking Antichrist. Sure they had a few fun songs in the ’80s, but so did every other shitty hair band at the time. Jon Bon Jovi must’ve sucked the devil’s dick, which is the only explanation for how that band has been around for so long.
- Alice Cooper deserves to be in, so no problem there. Oh wait, there is a problem – he’s been eligible for at least 15 years now – what was the fucking holdup?
- The Beastie Boys deserve their place in there too. But before KISS, Rush, etc.? Give me a break.
- LL Cool J – what more can be said? Loved him in Deep Blue Sea.